Coronavirus FAQs

Q: What if I’m showing symptoms or have been in contact with someone who has COVID-19?

A:  For help in determining if you should seek-out medical care, please use the COVID-19 Self-Assessment tool here: 

  • If advised to proceed for further medical screening, per the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit:

“In order to meet the growing needs of area residents with medical concerns related to COVID-19, a dedicated assessment centre has been opened at 490 Huronia Road, Barrie. The assessment centre is located in the rear building of the Eagle Ridge complex and is NOT at the Huronia Urgent Care Clinic.

This week (Monday, March 16 to Sunday March 22), the assessment centre hours are as follows:

  • Monday, March 16: 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.
  • Tuesday, March 17 to Sunday, March 22: 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.

Please note, there may be lengthy waits at the assessment centre and your patience is appreciated. If you have a valid Ontario health card, please bring it with you, as it will expedite your visit.”

At the assessment centre, you will be seen by a healthcare professional, who will provide you with the necessary care and instructions for follow up, if required. The swab test for COVID-19 is NOT being provided at the assessment centre; however, should the healthcare team determine that you require a swab, you will receive further information.


Q: I’m returning to Canada from abroad.  What do I need to know?


  • Those who are returning to Canada are advised to self-isolate for 14 days and monitor symptoms.
  • “Self-isolating means staying at home when you are sick with COVID-19 and avoiding contact with other people to help prevent the spread of disease to others in your home and your community…”  Read More… 

Q: I have travel planned in the coming days or weeks.  Should I cancel or change my plans due to COVID-19?

A:  Both provincial and federal health officials have issued advice to all Canadians to avoid or cancel all international travel. Many airlines have waived change fees. Health officials are also requesting Canadians arriving back from international travel to self-isolate for 14 days.


Q: I am currently outside of Canada.  Should I return home earlier than planned?

A:  The Government of Canada is advising Canadians to:

    • Find out what commercial options are still available to return to Canada. Consider returning to Canada earlier than planned if these options are becoming more limited.
    • Ensure that you have significant finances and necessities, including medication, in case your travels are disrupted.
  • Travel Advisories from Global Affairs Canada

Q: I am outside of Canada impacted by travel bans.  What can I do?

A: Canadians travelling outside of Canada in need of emergency consular assistance can contact Global Affairs Canada’s 24/7 Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa at +1-613-996-8885 (call collect if available) or through email at [email protected].

Q: Where can I get the most up-to-date information about COVID-19 and actions being taken to protect the health of Ontarians?

A:  For local updates in the Simcoe-Muskoka region, please refer to the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit’s COVID-19 page at: Simcoe Muskoka District Health Authority COVID-19 Updates



Q: I own a small business. Will there be financial support for small business owners during the COVID-19 pandemic? 

A: Yes.  The federal government has announced a series of support measures for small businesses in both the short and longer term.

    • “…To support businesses that are facing revenue losses and to help prevent lay-offs, the government is proposing to provide eligible small employers a temporary wage subsidy for a period of three months. The subsidy will be equal to 10% of remuneration paid during that period, up to a maximum subsidy of $1,375 per employee and $25,000 per employer…”  Canada’s Economic Response Plan- Business
    • “For over 12 million low- and modest-income families, who may require additional help with their finances, the Government is proposing to provide a one-time special payment by early May 2020 through the Goods and Services Tax credit (GSTC). This will double the maximum annual GSTC payment amounts for the 2019-20 benefit year…” – Income Support for Businesses
    • “…The Government of Canada will also introduce enhancements to the Work-Sharing Program at an estimated cost of $12 million to help employers who are experiencing a downturn in business due to COVID-19, and their workers…” – Income Support for Workers


Q: I am unsure if I am eligible for EI.  If I stay home from work, will I receive EI support?

A: Yes.  The federal government has announced measures for workers who do not qualify for EI. 

  • “…Introducing an Emergency Support Benefit delivered through the CRA to provide up to $5.0 billion in support to workers who are not eligible for EI and who are facing unemployment…”  Read More…
  • “…If you are directly affected by the COVID-19 because you are sick or quarantined and you have not yet applied for EI benefits, please submit your application before contactingus. This will allow us to better serve you and prevent delays in establishing your claim…” – EI Sickness Benefits
  • “…In Canada, federal, provincial and territorial Ministers of Finance are closely monitoring the spread of the virus and its impact on Canadian jobs, workers, entrepreneurs, and economic growth. As the channels of impact become clearer, the Government of Canada will be ready to take action to support affected workers and businesses, where and when appropriate…” – Economic Resilience

Q: Ontario has declared a state of emergency.  What does this mean?

A: From

“The province has enacted a declaration of emergency to help contain the spread of COVID-19 and protect the public.

As a result, the following establishments are required to close immediately:

  • all bars and restaurants, except to the extent that such facilities provide takeout and food delivery
  • all facilities providing indoor recreational programs
  • all public libraries
  • all private schools
  • all licensed child care centres
  • all movie cinemas
  • all theatres, including those offering live performances of music, dance and other art forms
  • all concert venues

Additionally, all organized public events of over 50 people are prohibited, including parades, events and communal services within places of worship.

These orders will remain in place until March 31, 2020, when the province will reassess for an extension or end the closures.”